The english we speak(BBC教学)第24期:legend 传奇

英语社 人气:2.2W

The english we speak(BBC教学)第24期:legend 传奇

Feifei: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. We're in Finn's kitchen, and he's hard at work.

菲菲:大家好,欢迎来到我们所说的英语。我们现在位于芬的厨房里,他正在辛苦地工作。

Finn: Hello.

芬:大家好。

Feifei: Finn. What are you.doing?

菲菲:芬,你在干什么?

Finn: Just sawing this table.

芬:只是在锯桌子。

Feifei: Sawing the table? Why?

菲菲:锯桌子?为什么?

Finn: To make it round; a nice round shape.

芬:把它弄圆,一个好看的圆形。

Feifei: OK? Not quite sure why?

菲菲:好吧,但是为什么要这样呢?

Finn: So I can have a round table. Like King Arthur...

芬:这样我就可以有一个圆桌子了,和亚瑟王一样。

Feifei: You mean like King Arthur in the British legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Finn, that sounds a bit weird.

菲菲:你指像英国传说里的圆桌骑士王的首领亚瑟王那样。芬,这听起来怪怪的。

Finn: OK fine, don't laugh. Actually, hang on, I'm not very good at DIY. My saw is stuck - it won't move.

芬:好吧,不要笑。事实上,等一下,我不太擅长手工制作。我的锯子卡住了,它动不了了。

Feifei: Give me that. You need to do it like this, nice and smooth.

菲菲:把它给我。你得这样用,好用顺畅。

Finn: Thanks Feifei, you're a legend.

芬:谢谢,菲菲,你真是个传奇。

Feifei: No problem Finn. A legend. Unlike King Arthur and characters from myths and legends, who didn't really exist - you'll also hear the word 'legend' used to describe people around you.

菲菲:没关系,芬。一个传奇。不像亚瑟王和神话传说里的并不真实存在的人物,你会听到“传奇”这个词用来形容你身边的人。

Finn: Yes - in British slang, we say someone is a legend if they do something very helpful, very generous or very successfully - like in these examples:

芬:是的,在英国俚语里,当别人帮了很大的忙,很慷慨或是很成功的时候,我们说他是一个传奇,比如:

Thank you for that mate - you helped so much with the party today. You're a legend.

朋友谢谢你,今天的派对你帮了很大的忙,你是一个传奇。

A: Hey, I found your car keys.

A:嘿,我发现了你的车钥匙。

B: Oh great - you're a legend. I've been looking for an hour!

B:哦,太棒了,你是一个传奇。我找了一个小时了!

He's a legend. He drove me to the airport at 5am.

他是一个传奇,他早晨5点开车送我去机场。

Finn: And there we have it, a perfect round table.

芬:我们做好了,一个完美的圆桌子。

Feifei: Well done Finn. I'm impressed. Now what?

菲菲:太棒了芬。我很震惊。现在怎么办?

Finn: I thought we could invite a few friends round for dinner. Trouble is, I'm absolutely awful at cooking.

芬:我觉得我们可以邀请一些朋友来吃晚餐。但问题是,我完全不会做饭。

Feifei: Never fear - I'll do my special Sunday Roast...

菲菲:不要害怕,我会做我的周末特别烤肉。

Finn: Feifei, you are a legend.

芬:菲菲,你是一个传奇。

Feifei: Well, you can buy the ingredients! We'll need beef, potatoes, flour, carrots. Before you go off to the shops, can you remind everyone of our website?

菲菲:那么,你可以买一些原料!我们需要牛肉,土豆,面粉,胡萝卜。你去商店之前,你可以提醒大家我们的网址吗?

Finn: Of course - . See you next time everyone!

芬:当然可以—。下次见!

Feifei: Bye.

菲菲:再见。