中国寓言故事双语版 第36期:自相矛盾

英语社 人气:1.22W

中国寓言故事双语版 第36期:自相矛盾

In ancient times, there was a man who sold spears as well as shields.

古时候,有一个人,他既卖矛又卖盾。

One day, he hawked his wares at the market and was very pleased with himself.

一天,他在集市上叫卖,非常得意。

He held up a shield and said: "My shield is very strong.

他举起他的盾说:“我的盾非常坚固。

No matter how sharp a spear is, it cannot pierce my shield."

无论怎样好的矛,都戳不穿它!”

After that, he held up his spear and bragged: "My spear is very sharp.

说完,他又举起他的矛夸口说:“我的矛非常锋利。

No matter how strong a shield is, my spear can pierce it.

无论怎样坚固的盾都能戳进去!”

When the people standing by heard this, they laughed up their sleeves.

站在旁边的人听了,都暗暗地发笑。

One of them asked him: "According to what you said, your spear is the sharpest.

有人问他:“照你这样说,你的矛是最锋利的。

No matter how strong a shield is, your spear can pierce it.

无论怎样硬的盾都戳得进去。

Your shield is also the strongest.

你的盾又是最坚固的。

No matter how sharp a spear is, it cannot pierce your shield.

无论怎样锋利的矛,也别想戳进去。

Now, if I poke your shield with your spear, what will be the result?"

那么,现在我用你的矛来戳你的盾,看看结果会怎样呢?”

The man was so embarrassed that he could not utter a single word.

那个人窘得连一句话也答不上来。